04 October 2018

The joy of CW

I just enjoyed my slowest CW QSO of the year so far: I worked WA4KIT on 17m CW. Allen has only been using CW for a month so was QRS, hand-sending slow and steady with very few mistakes, mostly corrected, hence easy to copy. I found he copied my ropy hand-sent CW just fine with Farnsworth spacing which seemed more natural for me, sending characters at about 15 WPM but with extended gaps for him to do the mental look-up and (I guess) writing each character on a scratch pad. He told me I was the first station he had worked outside the US. I pictured him grinning ear-to-ear! So nice to make someone's day. It's 40 years since I learnt the code and I remember how taxing it was to concentrate hard, so I'm full of admiration for new ops making actual CW QSOs, not just sending minimal info but listening and responding to the other end. Fantastic! I'll send him a QSL card to commemorate this momentous event.

No comments:

Post a Comment